Bees make honey from the flower nectar and they use tube-shaped tongues in order to extract and store it in their second stomach. It mixes with enzymes there and then the substance is passed on to other bees in a digestive assembly line until the last bee deposits the honey into the honeycomb. The bees fan the honeycomb with their wings until the excess water evaporates. Then the honeycomb is sealed with a substance which hardens – beeswax.
Honey is bee’s food source. It is almost 80% natural sugar and 18% water, while the remaining 2% are vitamins and minerals, pollen, and protein. The sugar it contains is not bad for you when consumed in moderate amounts. It is quite healthy due to its vitamins and minerals.
The Benefits of Consuming Honey:
- Provides more energy – honey is an effective pre- and post-workout energy source for athletes as it does not cause blood sugar to drop after the initial spike. It improves power and speed in endurance athletes. Instead of drinking soda high in sugar, try to eat a piece of toast with a tablespoon of honey.
- Lowers blood pressure – honey contains a kind of carbohydrate which is known as oligosaccharide which doubles as an antioxidant and an amazing blood-pressure-lowering mechanism, in case you suffer from high blood pressure you may try to incorporate a tablespoon of honey into your daily diet.
- Relieves nausea – when you combine it with lemon it can help you with nausea. A lot of pregnant women who suffer from morning sickness follow this procedure. The lemon clears the toxins from an agitated stomach and with the help of the delivery system of honey it slowly releases its cleansing power.
- Treats cough – if you consume 2 tsp of honey 30 minutes before going to bed it can suppress a nighttime cough. This is effective for adults and children older than 1.
- Improves sleep – consuming a bit of honey and Himalayan salt will help you have a restful sleep during the night. This works because Himalayan salt is high in magnesium that reduces the stress hormone cortisol, making it easier to fall asleep. Honey supports and heals the liver and other organs while you sleep. Mix 5 tsp of honey and 1 tsp of Himalayan salt, and store it into a jar. Dissolve 1 tsp of the mixture under your tongue before going to bed.
- Heals cuts and burns – this is due to its antibiotic properties. Just rub it on the cu or burn. It can also assist with acnes.
- Treats dandruff – honey makes it an effective treatment for the most severe symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis (scaling and hair loss) and dandruff due to its antifungal, antibacterial, and antioxidant properties. Rub diluted honey with warm water into your scalp, let it stay for 3 hours, and then gently rinse it off with some warm water. Repeat this procedure each day until the symptoms subside. Maintain a healthy scalp by applying honey once a week.
- Burns fat – if you consume a spoonful of honey before you go to bed it can help you burn fat as honey speeds up the metabolism and reduces stress hormones while you sleep. You can combine it with cinnamon to make a detox tea.
This is one of the most delicious ingredient with a tone of health benefits. You can add it into your tea, coffee, or slather or on a piece of a whole-grain toast.
Source : healthylifebase.com